Computer-Aided Design (CAD) | Advantages, Co‐ordinate systems, drawing commands of CAD
Write short notes on:
- Advantages of Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Co‐ordinate systems used in CAD
- Four drawing commands
- Four edit commands
- Solid modeling
- Give the list of software, currently available for 2D solid modeling.
(a) Advantages of CAD: The CAD system should be used in modern Engineering practices because of the following reasons :
- CAD systems are “User‐friendly”: Any person who has the basic knowledge of the CAD systems will be able to understand them very easily.
- Better quality designs: The chances of mistakes are very less as compared to the traditional method of drawing; because the computer works very accurately, thus leading to a better quality design.
- Improved productivity: CAD improves the productivity of design and quality of the technical drawing as compared to the traditional methods of drawings.
- Reproducibility: As the drawings are stored in a database, which is a collection of data of all types related to the drawing consuming very little space. Therefore, it can be reproduced very easily in the future whenever required.
- Faster speed of work: The drawing can be made at a much faster speed than in the traditional method, with the help of CAD systems.
- Easy modifications: As a drawing can be saved many times, the changes in the drawing can be made very easily. Therefore repetitions can easily be made, which was not possible in a traditional method of drawing.