What is Flowchart? Which types of symbols used in Flowcharts?
Answer: Flowchart | Symbols used in Flowcharts
A flowchart is a pictorial (diagrammatic) representation of a program that shows the sequence of operations to be performed to arrive at the solution to a problem. Flowcharts are quite helpful in understanding the logic of complicated problems.
A flowchart is drawn before writing an actual program to understand the sequence of actions taken by the solution to solve the problem. It usually draws flowcharts using some standard symbols as shown below.
The following are some guidelines to draw a proper flowchart :
1. All necessary requirements should be listed out logically in order to draw an appropriate flowchart.
2. There should be no ambiguity in understanding the flowchart, i.e., the flowchart should be clear, neat, and easy to follow.
3. Every flowchart must have a logical beginning and end.
4. The normal direction of the flow of a flowchart is from top to bottom or left to right.
5. The number of flow lines used along with the terminal symbol must be one.
6. From a process symbol, only one flow line should come out.
7. For a decision symbol only one flow line should enter, but with leaving of the flow lines this number can be two to more, one for each answer.
8. Whenever a flowchart becomes complex, it is better to use connector symbols as a substitute for flow lines.
Example: Flowchart to find the sum of two given numbers.
1. Communication: As a flowchart is a pictorial representation of a program, it is easier to explain the logic of a program to some other person by using flowcharts.
2. Proper documentation: Flowcharts often provide valuable documentation.
3. Proper debugging: Flowcharts are very efficient in detecting, locating, and removing program bugs (mistakes).
1. Laborious for a complex problem: Flowchart drawing for a complex problem is a very time-consuming and laborious process.
2. Tedious task in modification: When any change or modification is required in program logic, the flowchart may need to be redrawn completely.Download