What are the Boiler mounting & Boiler accessories?
Answer: Boiler mounting | Boiler accessories
- Boiler mountings are components used for ensuring the safety of boiler operation.
- These are generally mounted on the surface of the boiler.
- Control fluid parameters at the inside of the boiler shell.
- The mountings are the essential part of a boiler, without which boiler operation is impossible.
- Proper maintenance is required.
- The size of boiler mounting is less as compare to boiler accessories.
- Examples: Pressure gauges, water level indicator, safety valves, stop valve, fusible plug, blow off cock, etc.
- Accessories are the auxiliary items required for the proper operation of the boiler and to improve the efficiency of it.
- These are integral parts of the boiler, but not mounted on it.
- Control fluid parameters outside of the boiler.
- These are not essential parts of the boiler,
- without which the boiler can operate though at lower efficiency.
- Proper maintenance is not required.
- The size of boiler accessories is large.
- Examples: Superheater, feed pump, injector, economizer, steam separator, air preheater, etc.
The various mountings and accessories including their purpose or function used in the locomotive boiler are:
1. Safety valves
Purpose: To release excess steam from the boiler.
2. Pressure gauge
Purpose: To measure the steam pressure inside the boiler.
3. Water level indicator
Purpose: To show the water level inside the boiler.
4. Fusible plug
Purpose: To protect the boiler against overheating.
5. Blow-off cock
Purpose: To empty the boiler for repairing, cleaning, and remove the mud.
6. Feed check valve
Purpose: To control the excess supply of water to the boiler.
Purpose: To increase the temperature of steam above its saturation point.
Purpose: To use the waste heat of flue gases for heating the feed water.
9. Air preheater
Purpose: To increase the temperature of the air before it enters the furnace.