1 >>Trans fats are polyunsaturates and monounsaturates that ?
- (A) Have been hydrogenated.
- (B) Are unsaturated.
- (C) Primarily come from vegetables, nuts, and seeds.
- (D) Come from animal sources.
2 >>Which of the following clients would mostly likely beplaced on a potassium restricted diet? ?
- (A) Heart failure client
- (B) Renal failure client
- (C) COPD client
- (D) Burn client
3 >>Which of the following are helpful for the dysphagicclient?Select all that apply. ?
- (A) Eating food accompanied by liquids.
- (B) Swallowing thickened liquids.
- (C) Eating food without accompanying liquid
- (D) B and C
4 >>The purpose of the Salem NG decompression tube’s bluelumen is to ?
- (A) Prevent esophageal reflux of gastric contents.
- (B) Allow siphoning of gastric contents if they stagnate.
- (C) Provide a port for continuous feeding.
- (D) Prevent tube adherence to the gastric mucosa.
5 >>Which of the following is the least reliable indicator ofthe return of bowel function? ?
- (A) Appetite
- (B) Bowel sounds
- (C) Presence of flatus
- (D) Bowel movement
6 >>The best way to determine NG tube placement withcontinuous feeding is to ?
- (A) Auscultate for injected air sound over theepigastrium.
- (B) Aspirate secretions and check for an acid pH.
- (C) Note the character of aspirated secretions.
- (D) Use capnography to detect presence of carbondioxide.
7 >>An intermittent NG tube feeding should be withheld ifthe residual volume is ?
- (A) 50 mL.
- (B) 100 mL.
- (C) 150 mL.
- (D) 200 mL.
8 >>The best way to prevent clogging of a small bore feedingtube is to ?
- (A) Flush frequently with cola.
- (B) Flush frequently with cranberry juice.
- (C) Flush frequently with warm water.
- (D) Replace the tube weekly.
9 >>The most effective way to promote small bore feedingtube advancement into the small intestine is to ?
- (A) Place the client right side-lying.
- (B) Place the client left side-lying.
- (C) Administer prokinetic medication before tubeinsertion.
- (D) Reinsert guidewire to advance the tube.
10 >>The most appropriate method for extended nutritionalsupport is ?
- (A) Nasogastric tube feeding.
- (B) Nasointestinal tube feeding.
- (C) Gastrostomy tube feeding.
- (D) Parenteral nutrition
11 >>The nurse is teaching a client how to obtain a sputumsample. Which one of these statements is a critical factorin the instruction? ?
- (A) Rinse the mouth before obtaining the sample.
- (B) Obtain the sample in the morning after breakfast.
- (C) Have client hold breath before coughing up sputum.
- (D) Take an expectorant to help facilitate the cough.
12 >>When collecting a blood specimen for culture, the nurseshould ?
- (A) Draw the blood from the IV line.
- (B) Wipe the sample site with alcohol.
- (C) Wear gloves during the procedure.
- (D) Use the venipuncture needle to inject blood intoculture bottle.
13 >>A 4-year-old child with vomiting and diarrhea is admittedto the hospital. Which one of these statements regardingcollecting stool specimens for ova and parasites is correct? ?
- (A) Specimen or culture must be from first stool of the day.
- (B) Clean-catch technique is used to collect stool sample.
- (C) Specimen can be refrigerated up to 24 hr.
- (D) Samples can be affected by laxatives containing heavymetals.
14 >>A client asks the nurse about the purpose of a guaiac test.The best response by the nurse is that it ?
- (A) Detects the presence of bacteria.
- (B) Tests for fat in the stool.
- (C) Tests for hidden or occult blood.
- (D) Determines whether pinworms are present.
15 >>During a 24-hr urine collection, the client discards arecent void. The nurse should ?
- (A) Stop the collection.
- (B) Extend the collection by 2 hr.
- (C) Call laboratory to report the loss.
- (D) Reinforce to the client to save urine.
16 >>A female client has collected a clean-catch urine sample.The sample is 50 mL, cloudy, odorless, and light yellow.Which one of the specimen’s characteristics would beconsidered abnormal? ?
- (A) Color.
- (B) Clarity.
- (C) Amount.
- (D) Odor.
17 >>The nurse is withdrawing a venous blood sample from theantecubital fossa using a Vacutainer system. Which oneof these statements would indicate the nurse is usingcorrect technique in obtaining the sample? ?
- (A) Place tourniquet 1-2 in. above client’s elbow.
- (B) Instruct client to keep fist clenched until needle iswithdrawn.
- (C) After needle removal, have client bend elbow andhold gauze on site.
- (D) Cleanse site with antimicrobial wipe and allow to dry.
18 >>When drawing an arterial blood sample, the nurse should ?
- (A) Flex the wrist to stabilize the vessel.
- (B) Draw back on the syringe when blood is observed.
- (C) Apply pressure for 1-2 minutes after needle iswithdrawn.
- (D) Perform Allen’s test before arterial puncture.
19 >>The nurse is teaching a male client how to monitor hisblood glucose using a One Touch meter. When observinghis technique, which one of these actions would be causefor further instruction? ?
- (A) Places the lancet on the lateral side of his finger.
- (B) Washes his hands with soap and water.
- (C) Adds additional blood to strip after test begins.
- (D) After stick, strokes gently from base of finger to tip.
20 >>A client has a large, draining wound and the nurse is toobtain a specimen for an aerobic culture. When performingthis procedure, the nurse should ?
- (A) Note antibiotic or antifungal therapy on lab requisition.
- (B) Wipe several areas of the wound with one swab.
- (C) Place specimen in a paper cup to transport.
- (D) Refrigerate specimen if unable to take immediatelyto lab.