1 >>Circular section of tunnels is not suitable for ?
- (A) carrying water
- (B) noncohesive soils
- (C) tunnels driven by shield method
- (D) dplacement of concrete lining
2 >>A good blast with a good yield is obtained if the cut hole is ?
- (A) normal to face
- (B) inclined at 45° to the face
- (C) inclined at 15° to the face
- (D) inclined at 30° to the face
3 >>As compared to a single free face, if a charge of explosive is placed equidistant from two faces, then the yield ?
- (A) remains same
- (B) decreases
- (C) increases by 2.25 times
- (D) increases by 3.5 times
4 >>Drifters can be used to drill ?
- (A) only up holes
- (B) only down holes
- (C) horizontal or up holes
- (D) horizoral, down or up holes
5 >>7. If ‘N’ is the number of shafts used, then the total number of feces available for attacking the excavation and construction in tunnels are ?
- (A) 2N
- (B) N + 2
- (C) 2 N + 1
- (D) 2 N + 2
6 >>The correct sequence of drilling equipment for increasing size of holes in tunnels is ?
- (A) wagon drill, churn drill, shot drill
- (B) wagon drill, shot drill, churn drill
- (C) shot drill, churn drill, wagon drill
- (D) churn drill, wagon drill, shot drill
7 >>Which of the following is not a component of the shield ? ?
- (A) propelling jacks
- (B) liner plate
- (C) hood
- (D) tail
8 >>In compressed air tunneling, the volume of free air provided is ?
- (A) 6 mJ per second per m2 of face area
- (B) 6 m3 per minute per m2 of face area
- (C) 20 m3 per minute per m2 of face area
- (D) 6 m3 per hour per m2 of face area
9 >>Which of the following lining material is useful for shield driven tunnels in sub aqueous regions ? ?
- (A) stone masonry
- (B) timber
- (C) cast iron
- (D) cement concrete
10 >>If ‘D’ is the diameter of tunnel in metres, then the thickness of lining in mm, as per the empirical formula is given by ?
- (A) 42 D
- (B) 82 D
- (C) 104 D
- (D) 124 D
11 >>Which one of the following tunnelling methods is used for laying under ground sewers ? ?
- (A) Needle beam method
- (B) Army method
- (C) German method
- (D) Italian method
12 >>Ribs are used for strengthening and stiffening the liner plate for tunnels of diameter greater than ?
- (A) 2 m
- (B) 3 m
- (C) 4 m
- (D) 5 m
13 >>The most suitable soil for compressed air tunneling is ?
- (A) silt
- (B) sand
- (C) clay
- (D) gravel
14 >>Which of the following methods of tunnelling is used for long tunnels at great depths ? ?
- (A) Army method
- (B) Needle beam method
- (C) Austrian method
- (D) English method
15 >>In Belgium method of tunnelling ?
- (A) construction of side walls is completed before invert and roof arch are built.
- (B) construction of roof arch is completed before side walls and invert are built.
- (C) construction of invert is completed before side walls and roof arch are built.
- (D) construction of invert and side walls is completed before roof arch is built
16 >>Drift method of tunnelling is used to construct tunnels in ?
- (A) soft grounds
- (B) rock
- (C) self supporting grounds
- (D) broken grounds
17 >>Which one of the following is considered to be an advantage of the heading and benching method of tunnel construction? ?
- (A) It is suitable for construction in unstable rocks.
- (B) In this method, it is easy to install timber support
- (C) Tunnelling can be continuous and the work can be expedited.
- (D) In case of excessive water, it is easy to take correct steps
18 >>In “full face” method of constructing tunnels, the first operation relates to ?
- (A) removal of bottom portion
- (B) excavation of one drift in the centre
- (C) removal of top portion
- (D) excavation being done along the periphery
19 >>Which one of the following is a component of a shield for tunnelling ? ?
- (A) liner plate
- (B) trench jack
- (C) stiffener
- (D) cutting edge
20 >>Which of the following causes a decrease in per capita consumption ? ?
- (A) use of metering system
- (B) good quality of water
- (C) better standard of living of the people
- (D) hotter climate