What is Operating System? What are the different functions of an operating system?
Answer: Operating System | Functions of an Operating System (OS)
An operating system is a program that manages the computer hardware.
1. It act as an intermediate between users of a computer and the compare hardware.
2. It controls and coordinates the use of the hardware among the various application programs for the various users.
3. An operating system (OS) is a collection of software that manages computer hardware resources and provides common services for computer programs. Application programs require an operating system to function.
Example : Windows 10, Linux.
Operating system performs the following functions :
1. Booting : Booting is a process of starting the computer operating system to work. It checks the computer and makes it ready to work.
2. Memory management : It is also an important function of operating system. The memory cannot be managed without operating system. If there is no operating system, the programs may mix with each other. The system will not work properly.
3. Loading and execution : A program is loaded in the memory before it can be executed. Operating system provides the facility to load programs in memory easily and then execute it.
4. Data security : Data is an important part of computer system. The operating system protects the data stored on the computer from illegal use, modification or deletion.
5. Disk management : Operating system manages the disk space. It manages the stored files and folders in a proper way.
6. Process management : CPU can perform one task at one time. If there are many tasks, operating system decides which task should get the CPU.
7. Device controlling : Operating system also controls all devices attached to computer. The hardware devices are controlled with the help of small software called device drivers.
8. Printing controlling : Operating system also controls printing function. If a user issues two print commands at a time, it does not mix data of these files and prints them separately.
9. Providing interface : It is used in order that user interface acts with a computer mutually. The operating system offers two types of the interface to the user :
(i) Graphical‐line interface : It interacts with the visual environment to communicate with the computer. It uses windows, icons, menus and other graphical objects to issues commands.
(ii) Command‐line interface : It provides an interface to communicate with the computer by typing commands.