What are the Boiler mounting & Boiler accessories?
Answer: Boiler mounting | Boiler accessories
- Boiler mountings are components used for ensuring the safety of boiler operation.
- These are generally mounted on the surface of the boiler.
- Control fluid parameters at the inside of the boiler shell.
- The mountings are the essential part of a boiler, without which boiler operation is impossible.
- Proper maintenance is required.
- The size of boiler mounting are less as compare to boiler accessories.
- Examples : Pressure gauges, water level indicator, safety valves, stop valve, fusible plug, blow off cock, etc.
- Accessories are the auxiliary items required for proper operation of boiler and improve the efficiency of it.
- These are integral parts of the boiler, but not mounted on it.
- Control fluid parameters at outside of the boiler.
- These are not essential parts of the boiler,
- without which boiler can operate though at lower efficiency.
- Proper maintenance is not required.
- The size of boiler accessories are large.
- Examples : Superheater, feed pump, injector, economizer, steam separator, air preheater, etc.
The various mountings and accessories including their purpose or function used in locomotive boiler are :
1. Safety valves
Purpose : To release excess steam of the boiler.
2. Pressure gauge
Purpose : To measure the steam pressure inside the boiler.
3. Water level indicator
Purpose : To indicate the water level inside the boiler.
4. Fusible plug
Purpose : To protect the boiler against overheating.
5. Blow off cock
Purpose : To empty the boiler for repairing, cleaning and remove the mud.
6. Feed check valve
Purpose : To control the excess supply of water to the boiler.
Purpose : To increase the temperature of steam above its saturation point.
Purpose : To utilize the waste heat of flue gases for heating the feed water.
9. Air preheater
Purpose : To increase the temperature of air before it enters the furnace.